05 May 2008

The joy of caprice

M- cannot believe she's being allowed outside in 6-month-old pantsAs an antidote to yesterday's tirade, I will note that one plus of having a girl is that last season's pants become this season's capris, or at least they do when Daddy is in charge of her wardrobe. All you have to do is wait a couple extra months for them to cross the "I think she's grown out of those pants, sir" threshold into the "Oh my gosh, what adorable pants! I have to know where you got them!!" zone*.

Incidentally, both of these statements are likely to be met with identical shrugs from me at library time. While I appreciate a cute outfit as much as the next guy, I'd much rather buy an array of identical futuristic jumpsuits for each kid, and never have to spend another 10 minutes tracking down something to dress each one in that won't get me A) in trouble or B) on some kind of watch list down at Child Services.

Consequently, J- and our female friends and relatives are in charge of all children's clothing purchases, and I am merely the middle manager who issues them on most days.

In my defense, I'll say that if they're good enough for Catholic (and gang-combatting) schools, the inevitable future, and most low-paid workplaces, uniforms are good enough for our kids and the rest of society. Three cheers for The Unitard of Tomorrow!


* I never got into the latter zone when D- was younger. Without fail, pants would somehow change from looking fine to making me look like a mental defective once I got him to daycare. This was especially an issue with overalls, due to their devious ability of the straps to allow the pant cuffs to hang down to the feet even when the crotch was somewhere around their knees. Am I really expected to notice this fine detail when I'm in a rush to get to work?**

** I still occasionally have this problem with M-, as no one yet makes capri-style overalls. Yet.

17 comments:

Momo Fali said...

Truly, one of my favorite things about my daughter's school is the uniforms. No clothing battles here. At least, not on schooldays!

Natalie said...

i love that! so funny. my youngest has quite a few pairs of "capri" pants. my question is do they make flared-leg capris in real life?

Anonymous said...

I attended a couple schools where we had to wear uniforms (in the Uk) and it was great. It is truly one of the few things that I wish they would implement at my kids school.

And you're right, this is what I love about having a girl. Bring on the capris!

SherE1 said...

I love it when my husband dresses the kids - so comical! The kids hate when I'm laughing at their outfits ("stop laughing MOM!") but it just can't be helped sometimes.

TerriRainer said...

The whole "capri" thing is great if you have a little girl that grows up, and not out!

My youngest who just turned 6 must wear size 7 slim jeans, but some of her pants that are size 4-5 are now capris!

:) Terri

Anonymous said...

My daughter has several cotton dresses that became those "hip, long shirts' once she grew. Recycle on!

Unknown said...

Love the capri move! My husband would never think of that. Very impressive. Smiles!

Cassey said...

I like the capris but I would sign the Mandatory Child Uniform Movement petition if you were to write it up.

Anonymous said...

You can start the trend of the capri-style overalls...then we'll all follow suit to back you up. In fact, I say capri-style pants should be the only option, b/c then no one will really know when your kids out grow them--no more "high-waters" (do they even call them that anymore?!)

LiteralDan said...

Momo Fali: I envy you, and if I were you, I'd make them wear their uniforms all year, as "practice".

Natalie: I think they must, but then, who knows which ones are the real capris?

MadWomanMeg: You should run for school board president on the "look what Mary Poppins did for those Banks children" platform, then institute strict uniform policies. People (in the US, at least) love British nannies, tutors, governesses, headmasters/mistresses, etc.-- you'd be a shoo-in!

SherE1: Oh, you'd love seeing the kids in my prime-- now that I've had to cover wardrobe most of the time, I've learned a lot and have compiled quite a few winning outfits, but back in the day I was all over the place. When J- picked them up from daycare, they'd always ask if Daddy had dressed the kids that day (she would always say yes, even the 1 or 2 shameful times she was to blame).

TerriRainer: Yeah, you have a point-- M- has stretched out over time, to where she's turning out like D- at her age, after she started out much more squat (relative to that beanpole, of course).

Christina & Wifey: It's just more practical, especially for the littlest kids-- they get so dirty anyway, it's better to keep their clothes up out of the worst of the muck! This rationale never got me out of disapproving looks with D-, so I truly feel fortunate now.

Cassey & Christy: It sounds like we might have a genuine multifaceted movement starting! I will be its charismatic leader, and one of you can write a stirring account of my inevitable fall from grace.

(And Christy, my wife does use that term, so you're not the only one. It's probably a New England thing-- she's from R.I. and Maine, and I see you're from that region originally)

Andrea said...

We do the "new" capri pants and short dress becomes new flaired shirt thing also. Start a new trend! I personally hate the red with pink thing. Same family-poor relations.

I looove uniforms! This is our first year with normal clothes in schools. After five years in UK schools and uniforms, I miss them. I loved it--"Are you wearing the grey skirt, pinafore or trousers today?", "Grey jumper/sweater or blue?". Quick and out the door-no whining.

LiteralDan said...

Do Catholic schools (or other religious schools) in Germany have uniforms like they generally do in the US?

I think it would be so hard to go back to having to pick new clothes every day that I would avoid it at all costs-- a glimpse at how the other half lives!

Ann(ie) said...

HA! okay, A.) she's adorable and B.) nicely done, dad!!! That's not bad work!!

Andrea said...

I haven't seen any children in school uniforms here. There is a Catholic church nearby, but no school that I have seen. They might have some in larger areas like Frankfurt or Berlin. BTW, the kids seem to go to school from 8-12 here! Those are some hours!

LiteralDan said...

Ann(ie): Well, A) thank you, I made her myself, and B) thank you again-- I was pretty happy with that outfit but with such matters I rarely trust my own judgment under scrutiny, since I've been burned so many times before. As much as I don't care when all is said and done, it's still nice to know I'm getting better. lol

Andrea: Well, now I have a new regret-- that I didn't go to school in Germany. I think my wife would appreciate that kind of schedule now, too (she works as a middle school Special Ed. teacher).

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.