16 December 2008

A conversation with D-: You are an idiot

The other day, while my 4-year-old son D- was showing off his typing skills to my mom, the following absolutely 100% true conversation took most of the suspense out of the question Will he turn out just like me?:

D- (pointing to "PQ" on the screen): See here? I typed "Pa".

My Mom: Oh, you mean like Pa in the Laura books? Actually, that's P-A. You wrote P-Q, but that's pretty close-- good job!

D-: ...Umm, actually, it's spelled like that.

My Mom: "Pa" like Laura's Pa is spelled P-A. Maybe we could go get one of the books and you could see, to help you remember.

D-: I think we should get the book, so we can look at it, and you can say, (adopting appropriate voice), "Oh, I was wrong!"

My Mom (deftly masking her disbelief, she grabbed The Long Winter): Here you go, see there? It's spelled P-A. But that's okay...

D-: I'm never going to read those books again.

17 comments:

unmitigated me said...

I wonder where he witnessed an exchange like that?

Anonymous said...

That is so your child!

Brittany said...

OMG that would be my exact reaction as well! The world is wrong, I am right.

pq for life!

thegirlof510 said...

I don't think that the apple even fell off the tree, in this case, Dan. Hehehehehe.

Kevin McKeever said...

Another child turned off to reading. Way too go, grandma!

Everyday Goddess said...

That is one smart kid!

Irrational Dad said...

How great would it have been if D- had changed the PQ to PA while she was getting the book. He could totally have had her thinking she was losing it.

nonna said...

all i can say is, good luck w/that one dan! and thegirlof510 is right that apple didn't fall. it just cloned itself!

and now i am really wondering what 510 is. is it her area code, her height, her apt #, what?? guess i'll have to go to her page and see. i'll probably like her too. that sucks. does anybody know how to just hush and stop being funny? i mean seriously, this whole blog log thing is getting out of control!

Jenny Grace said...

Please tell me that D-'s final line was said with complete deadpan?

Aracely said...

The D must stand for Dios.

Kori said...

HA! Love it.

CaraBee said...

You keep posting these conversations between your children and adults that sound strangely like ones around our house, only there are no talking kids here. I'm pretty sure that means that your children are VERY advanced.

Lacey said...

Too hilarious! Just wait. One night you're going to wake up to all this clanging and clattering, jump out of bed, and realize that it's only D-, feverishly going through every book in your house and changing all the Pa's to Pq's.

Mrs. B. Roth said...

Where do kids get that complete confidence in their knowledge of the world, anyway? And I guess it takes becoming a parent to really understand how stupid you are.

Mama Dawg said...

Oh, my. He's such a man, already. Takes after his dad, huh?

Vodka Mom said...

yeah, I laughed OUT LOUD.

The Microblogologist said...

Poor Nonna, I suspect it might be my and my "Copy LiteralDan Section"'s fault that she was sucked into this incredibly addictive blog filled with hilarious footnotes and commenters... We really need to set up a 12 step program for bloggers!