28 September 2009

Classic quotes, Vol. 19

Here is the latest batch of quotes from my 2-year-old daughter M- and my 5-year-old son D- (my wife J- and I haven't been interesting in weeks, apparently):

M- (as loudly as you'd expect, pointing to the balloon-infested cover of Elmo's Feliz Cumpleanos book): Look at his BALLLLLLLS!

M- (frightened as usual, referring to the roaring of hundreds of gallons of water pouring from the giant bucket over the kids' area at our pool): It's like lightning from the bucket, but water!*

D- (catching sight of junior-high soccer fields): Hey! The big soccer boys are out! And the big girl-boys, too!

M- (after being asked if she prefers J-'s Red Sox or my White Sox, giving a politically AND artistically astute answer): Ummm.... I like the Pink Sox!

M- (with exaggerated gestures, defying my idea that making "the girl toy" in a Happy Meal a little notebook is lame): It's NOT a toy... it's a NOTEbook, and it's imPORtant, and nobody else can touch it, but me... not ANYone in the WORLD... imAGine that, in your BRAIN.**



* This astute comparison of the sound to thunder makes me as proud as when D- said something was, "as dry as SAND!" a few years ago. They'll be writing bad poetry in no time, just like their ol' man.

** I swear to God/Allah/Yahweh/Michael Jordan that she said this to me-- I was at the computer at the time, and I typed it out before she even finished saying it.

10 comments:

Kat said...

I am imagining it ALL in my brain.

Jill said...

I hope you were at the library when the first quote was uttered.

Anonymous said...

Yes, LD, imagine THAT in your brain!

unmitigated me said...

That level of certitude doesn't usually manifest until they are teenagers. Good luck.

Aunt Juicebox said...

That big bucket of water IS loud an scary.

Krystal said...

WOW!!! um, well, what can I say - you've got your hands full!

Mary said...

I think D- has some catching up to do. He's outnumbered 4 to 1 here.

Renata said...

Ooooh, BAAAAALLLLS!

xD, your kids are adorable.

Silindile Ntuli said...

Ha ha ha ha ha you've got yourself some great kids, hilarious.

Ron said...

Haha. I never thought of Elmo having balls.

and those Happy Meal toys... can't figure it out but, of all the crap they've put in those things, these stupid notebooks are like gold to my kids.