05 January 2009

Let's call this an adverb-filled do-over

I've had a taste of life not posting religiously, and I must admit I liked it.

But that doesn't mean I don't like blogging anymore-- I'm just a lazy, procrastinating shell of a man who can only function within the framework of compulsive habits.

So, not unlike a car --say, my stupid car-- stuck in a little rut of slush and ice, I got complacent and couldn't get back over that hump since the Pinko-Commie calendar insisted I acknowledge its existence in some way.

I briefly thought about not noting the, shall we say, recent collapse of my Previous Posts drop-down menu, but every time I sat down to write, I found myself either blathering about things more boring than usual or writing amusing bits that weren't worthy of being the Last/First Post of the Year.

So instead, I'll sum up: 2008 was a crazy year, but a great one overall, and 2009 will likely be more of the same, though under the guise of more unsettling numerals. Life's like that.

Lastly, though I've never been one for resolutions on an arbitrary timeline, I'm a big fan of arbitrariness in general (I think of it as an homage to my pagan god, Nature), so I'll allow the following statement:

During the next year, I may perhaps be more than gently urging my life into a more stable and at least slightly more conventional form, so I will most definitely be posting somewhat less often as a side effect of that effort.

Not less often than the past week, mind you, but just not five days a week on average, I'm sure. Furthermore, while my newly mobile and freshly independent wife weans herself back into the world (starting with going to work today for the first time in six weeks*), I will likely be back visiting many of your blogs more frequently than I have been recently, though I'm sure I won't be commenting nearly as much as I used to.**



* Where, by the time she's reading this, she'll likely be praying already that they had just cut the leg off and replaced it with a shapely peg, with which she can create the Greatest Legend of All Legends of Scary Teacher Biographies Passed by Fearful Whispers at Recess.

** I'm almost as sad as you are, I'll bet.

19 comments:

The Honourable Husband said...

Quality makes up for quantity, Dan.

As someone who works as a writer, I imagine it's doubly hard.

I used to write for a living, and I simply cannot treat a blogpost with less care than a professional assignment. That means blogging becomes a burden.

I don't know how the diarists of yore did it.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget us. This is a bright spot in my day.

Leslie said...

Good luck with that! Here's to 2009!

Unknown said...

Happy '09 Literal Dan - I've read quite a few bloggers resolving to do the same thing - less blogging for quality of life....hmmmm.....I wonder how long you need to blogging to come to that resolution....

Aracely said...

I would have never associated LD with the word lazy. NEVER!

Aracely said...

I would have never associated LD with the word lazy. NEVER!

Allison said...

I am right there with you.

Jenny Grace said...

A single tear glistens on my mournful cheek.

nonna said...

i was starting to worry about you, but now that i know you were just being lazy, i'm relieved. disappointed, but happy you're still kicking. i hope this resolution goes by the wayside like most everybody else's does after a few weeks. i missed you and i'm jonesin' for a conversation or two with d-

Anonymous said...

I know this is slightly off-topic, but your metaphor (simile?) sparked a memory.

I drove my parents to my house on Christmas Day. We had a modest amount of snow, which got plowed in front of our driveway. I slowed down instead of mowing through, and got stuck in my own driveway. My father, who learned to drive in Ohio in snow five feet deep, was amused.

I am a Tornado ~ proven fact! said...

Life has happened to me as well ... want to write but can't find the words ... or the time or the presence of mind ... so I haven't posted much of anything lately.

Anonymous said...

Today was a good first day back to work, but I would still like a peg leg. After all, who couldn't use a good frightening tale whispered about them in a school yard. Mystery is the key to life.

Chris M. said...

I'm not sure if my reprieve was on purpose or not. I think my subconscious was telling me to take a break, but it wasn't like I was working that hard on the blog anyway.

Maybe I'm just a lame ass.

-Chris
Weather Moose

LiteralDan said...

headbang8: Yeah, I push myself to just click Publish on things when they are done enough, as a kind of personal training.

I figure it's been 27 years already and perfectionism has brought me almost nothing of substance.

Mary: I'm mighty glad to shine that light, ma'am.

Laggin: Thanks, and same to you!

Lee the MWOB Queen: I don't blame blogging for this-- I get this way about most things I get involved in.

Threeboys1mommy: I might have, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Allison: Not a bad teammate, in my opinion.

Miss Grace: You should leave it there in case you need to create a dramatic moment for any reason before it gets a chance to dry out.

nonna: I've never been so flattered by someone's ill will towards me ;-)

goodfather: I would also be amused by that, but then I also would definitely sympathize. I once got stuck for a good half hour stuck in slush just off the edge of the pavement in the alley behind a store.

That's what I get for trying a shortcut. And for trying to make a three point turn in a Cadillac.

I am a Tornado ~ proven fact!: Hey, don't let it get you down. But I do recommend sitting down to write no matter what, to see what's on your mind. Think on paper, whether virtual or physical.

J-: So THAT'S my problem... I'm an open book.

Or AM I?...*

----------
* I am.

Chris M.: That's kind of what happened to me. The blog gave me a break all by itself, though I'd say it was kind of a working vacation, as it were.

I hate to break it to you, but if you have to wonder whether or not you're a lame ass, you probably are. Don't feel so bad, though, because I definitely am, too.

Lola said...

This malady of which you speak seems to be going around and spreading like wildfire!

I've been battling it for well over a month and decided posting every day is just not going to happen anymore. It makes you feel much better once you cut back.

SherE1 said...

Jeez - talk about lazy. My last post was almost a month ago. And I just finished catching up the last 11 posts that I missed from you. Only 435 more to go in my reader!

Hope you have a great 2009, LiteralDan!

Mrs4444 said...

Linked to you today, heehee!

Anonymous said...

I have had a hard time keeping up with the blogging of late myself...I've been slowly (or not so slowly) weaning down from the 5 day a week posting. Let's hope 2009 is a year of more balance! And if not, I guess at least we'll have more to write (complain) about. Welcome back! :)

Anonymous said...

This is the kind of thing I try to teach people. Can I expect a sequel?