17 March 2009

A blessed St. Squarepants' Day be upon you

So here we are again on this holiday beloved by young children and alcoholics with equal vigor.

I just wanted to share that yesterday, my 4-year-old son D- asked my mom, "How come we all wear green on Spongebob Day?"

She had no idea where on Earth this came from, until I pointed out that even in my limited knowledge of the world of Spongebob Squarepants, I know that his best friend is named Patrick.

So in that distinct way that only a child's brain works, patching knowledge gaps with basically anything that springs to mind before moving on to the next thought, we have christened a new holiday.

I'm sure Nickelodeon will be as pleased as Hallmark about this development, but I just want to know how he even knows this fact to connect it, since he has only watched the show twice in his life, 2 years ago.

Maybe Nickelodeon had leprechauns put something insidious in those Spongebob Band-Aids of his...

13 comments:

Heather said...

I gotta like a kid who remembers Spongebob two years later. I'm a huge fan myself, although Patrick is my least favorite.

unmitigated me said...

A SpongeBob/Patrick fixation? I think you need to add this to the list of reasons your son may be homosexual.

Kevin McKeever said...

C'mon, Patrick! Let's go drown our sorrows at Goofy Goobers.

Jenny Grace said...

Yesterday I told Gabriel that we were going to wear green because it was St. Patrick's Day. He asked me, "What color do we wear on Gabriel day?"

cIII said...

Spongebob's cat (actually it's a Snail of some sort, but makes a most un-catlike "Meow") is called Gary.

Happy Spongebob Day, Gary.

Now who moved my Beer?

Bad Momma said...

Kid's got a point. Shouldn't we all be wearing yellow?

beth said...

I like the simpler way of thinking. I could make a very good child.

Sandi said...

haha that's great. My kids watch spongebob but never even thought of this I don't think.

LiteralDan said...

In case you thought this was a one-time error that was erased after he was corrected, when I was headed to the shower today, D- asked me, "Is it still... SpongeBob Day today?"

I figured he was joking, so I just said, "Huh?" while keeping a straight face and expecting him to start smiling like usual, but instead he got kind of flustered and said, "...I forget what it's called! Is it still... that day... where..." before I helped him remember.

So he was totally serious, and now I absolutely have to call it SpongeBob Day for the rest of my life.

Mama Dawg said...

I'm so down with a Spongebob holiday.

Patrick is my favorite character, by the way.

Just in case you were curious.

SherE1 said...

My 4 YO (Katelyn) totally thought it was a day to celebrate Patrick from Spongebob, too! That's hilarious! She kept saying "Happy Patrick day!!"

Mrs4444 said...

That is SO cute!

Anonymous said...

i detest spongebob. don't know why, but i do.

aren't you glad to know that?