27 March 2009

Developments at our house, Vol. 13

Here are some of the latest developments around here:

1. We've all found change in the washing machine now and then, but since we obviously have to watch every single penny around here, the only currency I've found there in a very long time is trace amounts of macaroni and cheese, source unknown. I think it bodes ill for our future health that those tiny noodles can survive such an ordeal completely intact.

2. I've had a whim that in order to intimidate other parents this summer, I'll start bringing a set of chess pieces with us to the park, so D- and I can use them to play checkers on those mounted boards.

As long as we sit and stare awhile before each move, no one's likely to remember that pawns can't traditionally jump over rooks. Another plus in our favor is that D- frequently forgets how to play checkers during the game and just starts sliding pieces in whatever direction he feels like, so it'll probably end up looking a bit like chess anyway.

3. I've decided that no matter the savings of reusing everything from one kid to the next, recycling my son's "Thank Heaven For Little Boys!" bibs for my 2-year-old daughter is just too disturbing. I'm not quite ready for that yet.

4. My son D- turned 5 years old, which is as unbelievable to me as it was when he turned 4. I guess I'll have to update my About pages across the Internet again.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just adore the way your twisted mind works.

Another Suburban Mom said...

Its amazing how the ages of your kids just sneak up on you. Princess Persistent will be 3 on Monday and I still can't believe it.

As for income, have you checked the couch cushions?

unmitigated me said...

a five year old son is amazing, but wait until your daughter 'develops.' You'll want to dig your own eyes out with a spork. And not a sharp one, either.

Mama Dawg said...

Just change the About pages to say something like "between the ages of 5-25"

That should cover you for the next 20 years of blogging.

You're welcome.

Dad Stuff said...

I would try that chess trick too, except my kids kick my butt in chess. Not very intimidating.
I hear you about time flying. Each birthday seems to come a little quicker.

Anonymous said...

If you maintain a serious face throughout the game, you can do anything - even king a rook - and people will not question it.

Bookworm said...

Fake chess in the park... *snort*. That's hilarious. Works well until someone who actually knows how to chess comes over and rats you out. And my kids are 26 and 21. I miss their being five years old, but I definitely am glad I'm already over the teen years. Good luck with that. :)

Midwest Mom said...

Now is the time when Dad needs to get crafty.

Get some pink fabric paint and paint "Yeah, right." under the words on your bib.

Voila! Girl bib.

;)

- Julia

Kori said...

Bwahahaha, chess in the park. Great idea.

beth said...

My children played actual chess and were pretty bad at it but it didn't matter; everyone thought I had little brainiacs simply because we played chess.

Swirl Girl said...

...better yet, make the game more exciting by bring actual horses and castles and kings and pawns to the park!

TerriRainer said...

My poor son wore a pink onesie with little black and white cows on it....I even took pictures for later use when he brings home girls I don't like.

:) Terri

Mrs. B. Roth said...

(think of something to say - something witty, something pertinent or all will be lost, lost I say...)

(ummm)

I'm going to intimidate parents at the park by having the 6 yr old work on his bow staff technique as the 3 yr old sings Paradise City and baby girl eats her weight in sand.

Intimidated?

CaraBee said...

I don't know, I think it would be hilarious to see a 2 year old girl wearing a Thank Heaven For Little Boys t-shirt.

Kevin McKeever said...

Lately, I keep finding ChapStick tubes in the dryer. And Chap Stick melted on everything else.

Zip n Tizzy said...

I'm with CaraBee!

I find rocks and acorns in the dryer.

Zip n Tizzy said...

P. S. Happy Birthday to your boy.
5 is Awesome!

Aracely said...

The cockroaches and blue boxes of macaroni will survive us all.

Jenny Grace said...

My mom was just telling me that it was unbelievable to her that my sister is turning 30 this summer. So that sensation doesn't change, I fear.