03 November 2008

Decision 2008: Trick or Treat

Just a quick Halloween rundown today, starting with this curious picture:When Spider-Man got tired of swinging, he called in Tinkerbell to help him flyThese two strange children followed me around all day without revealing their identities or to whom they belonged. I would have called the police or Child Protective Services, but they seemed to be getting prodigious amounts of candy thrown at them, and thus I figured they might be of some use to me.

Two straight days of glorious stomachaches later, I stand by that decision. If only D- and M- could have been there... J- and I might have gotten twice as much candy.

Elsewhere, in an effort to hone her pumpkin-carving skills as well as get out the vote amongst the elementary-school and elementary-school-chaperone demographic, my sister decided that night to carve the Obama-Biden symbol into a pumpkin, with the word VOTE etched above it.

The day after Halloween, there wasn't much left of it:It's unclear why the other pumpkins were untouched, but maybe they just lack that j'ne sais quoisI can't decide whether this was an underhanded voter-suppression move by neo-conservative squirrels or merely an innocent nibbling of the alternatives by right-leaning independents who had their fill of nuts over at the Palin rally.

Speaking of nuts, I hope to be acting it with a few hundred thousand of my new closest friends in Grant Park tomorrow evening-- in case I don't post tomorrow, I'll see you all at the end of this long, strange tunnel Wednesday morning!

22 comments:

unmitigated me said...

Cute urchins. I SO wish I could be in Chicago tomorrow night!

Vodka Mom said...

I seriously lOVED the post about the children following you around. And, if you get the number of the folks who ruined your pumpkin let me know- I will totally kick their asses.

thegirlof510 said...

"I can't decide whether this was an underhanded voter-suppression move by neo-conservative squirrels or merely an innocent nibbling of the alternatives by right-leaning independents who had their fill of nuts over at the Palin rally."

Dan, you are made of win. No question.

Anonymous said...

So funny! And your sister must be pretty crafty to attempt such a feat!

Obama was in Cinci last night--I really wanted to go, but my husband had to go out of town. Hopefully tomorrow we will all see history being made...and if we don't, I'll see you in Canada...okay, France.

Russ said...

that fool pumpkin is the scariest thing I've seen! Go Squirrels! ;)

Anonymous said...

Let's hope it's a celebration at the park. It'll be glorious.
And those kids are candy magnets.

miko564 said...

I think there is another possiblility in the "Great Pumpkin Defacing" incident of 2008.

I have heard that the entire Chicago area is rife with "Anti-Gourd" groups. These heartless bastards don't care if you are Dem or Rep, they just hate your vine-grown wonder. SOB's.

Jenny Grace said...

That next-day pumpkin does not compare to mine, which had slugs crawling out of its mouth. ICK.

Anna Lefler said...

OK, from now on, I'm tagging every one of my posts with "vermin."

In this way, I honor you.

I'll give some thought to your hate mail request. Maybe after I've had my coffee.

People in the Sun said...

Maybe Dick Cheney did that! Bastard! Or Bill Ayers, the domestic terrorist! He hates voting!

Aracely said...

I have to say I'm a little disappointed by your choice in costumes. I was really hoping to see a large paper crane or two.

Anonymous said...

Love the costumes, if those kids followed me around all day I'd probably end up keeping them.

Great pumpkin, in theory....

Anonymous said...

It is nice to see more pics of the kids. I was beginning to wonder if they existed at all anymore.

Momo Fali said...

I blame the conservative squirrels. You're lucky they didn't throw in a pumpkin tax.

Katie said...

The Grand Pumpkin is gonna be pissed. (Sorry, just watched the Simpson's Halloween special. DVR rules). What is up with all the demolition this year? I saw on the news someone spray painted their candidate's logo onto their front lawn, because the sign kept getting stolen. It's nuts out there.

SM said...

Oh, you lucky devil! What I wouldn't give to be there. (Grant Park that is - but just tomorrow night, otherwise, ummm, brrr, too cold for me).

Anonymous said...

SO jealous. I'll be watching from my living room! You should carry a tall sign so we can look for you.

I hope your candy loot was more spectacular than mine - dum-dums and tootsie rolls, we MUST be in a recession!

The Microblogologist said...

Is it over yet? Is it over yet? Is it over yet? Is it over yet? Is it over yet?

Oh and you should have swung by my place, they'd have gotten a lot of candy, it is only like 350 miles away...

Michael from dadcation.com said...

super cute. what'd you wear?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kmommy said...

LOL! My son had to be spiderman too. the kid has never even seen spiderman!
Anyway, I love the pumpkin!! I can only imagine it in all its former glory :) it probably was a voter-suppression move ;)

Mama Dawg said...

OMG, she's ADORABLE!